Silverbeet & Bacon Tart
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- 20ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 3 rashers bacon, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 5 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 2 tbsp parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C conventional (180°C fan-forced).
- Line a 28cm flan tin with pastry, sealing joins between the sheets and trimming to fit.
- To blind-bake, place a sheet of foil over the pastry and fill with dry beans, lentils or baking weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove beans and foil, then return to oven for a further 5 to 10 minutes until lightly brown.
- Reduce oven to 180°C conventional (160°C fan-forced).
- Wash silverbeet well. Finely slice stalks and set aside. Roughly chop leaves. Place cup of water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add leaves and cover with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Drain and allow to cool. Squeeze water out of leaves then chop finely.
- Heat oil in a frypan and saute onions over very gentle heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic and silverbeet stalks and cook for a further 5 minutes. Increase heat slightly, add bacon and cook for a further 2 minutes. Finally, add chopped leaves and stir to combine. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Distribute silverbeet mixture into the blind-baked pastry case and top with tasty cheese. Beat eggs and cream together and pour over the silverbeet. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and lightly brown. Serve with a large green salad.