- 1 kg gramma peeled seeded
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon juiced zested
- 1 tbs sultanas
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- Peel gramma, discard seeds then chop into pieces.
- Place gramma in a saucepan with a little water and gently simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- Drain in a sieve until cold, pressing lightly to extract as much of the liquid as possible.
- Transfer gramma into a bowl, add sugar and juice, plus rind of the lemon.
- Add sultanas, golden syrup and mixed spice.
- Refrigerate until ready to make the pie.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Sift the flours with salt into a bowl, then rub in butter.
- Beat the egg with sugar and add to the flour and mix quickly by hand into a dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Roll out ¾ of the pastry to fit a 20 cm pie plate.
- Fill the pastry-lined pie plate with the pumpkin mixture.
- Wet the edges then roll out remaining pastry and place on top of the pie, trimming away any excess and press edges to seal with a fork.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Bake for approximately one hour or until golden and filling is cooked through.