Broccoli & Leek Soup
- 2 thick slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 600g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 75g (1/4 cup) low-fat sour cream
Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the bread on a baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Bake, turning once, for 10 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
Add the potato, water and stock cube to the leek mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
Place the soup mixture, parsley and basil in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until heated through.
Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with sour cream and croutons. Season with pepper to serve.